Saturday, November 15, 2008

Welcome to the World


Welcome to the world Mr. Zachary Xavier Orwin!!!! Zack was born on Thursday, Nov 13 at 11:43 AM. It was a somewhat uneventful delivery with me doing all the work and Zack showing up for the big finale. He weighed in at 7lbs. 11 oz and is 21 3/4 inches tall. Two pounds and 3 inches bigger than Max was. See I'm already comparing the two!!!
As I said the delivery was rather uneventful, however things got way too interesting after that. Zack was unable to maintain his body temperature or his blood sugar so they ran some tests on him and discovered that his white blood cell count was too high and he had some sort of infection. Unfortunately this meant he had to be admitted to NICU for IV antibiotics.
So this is where we are now (48 hours later). Zack has been in the NICU for 2 days. His body temp is up to normal again and he's maintaining it well. His blood sugar has stabilized and he is eating like a champ. His WBC count is going down and his cultures are coming back negative. These are all very good things and the doctor is hopeful that he will be able to come home on Monday.
I hate that I can't bring my baby boy home yet, but I know that he is where he needs to be right now. The nurses have been great and we have been able to spend a lot of time with Zack. It's kind of hard to be there and here with Max too, and I'm grateful my parents have been here to help. Max has been a trooper and is looking forward to meeting his little brother. I will try to keep everyone posted on what is going on but I make no promises. I'm a little scattered right now. But everything should settle down in the next few days. I have more pics and I will try to get them posted as well, but again no promises.
Again, welcome to the world Baby Zack!!! We love you!!!!

4 comments:

Erika said...

awwww, welcome Zach, your a handsome fella.

Jessica said...

he's a cutie. we'll keep him in our prayers for a fast exit from NICU.

Jamie Hamilton said...

Congratulations Orwins! I hope that baby gets better soon.

Robin D said...

Congrats Lori! I'm so glad your parents are there to help out! He's adorable and I can't wait to hear the stories once Max meets his baby bro!