Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Heat Wave

Our current heatwave is starting to cause blackouts in the area. We lost our electricity for several hours yesterday. Fortunately it didn't happen until around 7:30pm so we were past the worst part of the day (110 was our high yesterday). Max thought the blackout was great. We let him play outside until it was really dark and then we went inside and gave the kid a flashlight and he had a ball. I've never seen him so amused for such a long period of time. The only strange thing was that he seemed to think that because it was dark, he had to talk louder. I guess he thought he needed to yell in case we couldn't see him as well. It makes sense I guess. So last night wasn't too bad but I don't want to make a habit of losing electricity. It's quite inconvienient. And I'm certainly glad Jeff and I decided to get an air conditioner this year!
While I'm on the topic of weather, I just want to comment, "What is going on?" The elements are certainly in motion and it's getting pretty crazy. Between the fires, the tornados, the earthquakes, and the flooding it doesn't seem to be giving anybody a break. And here in the middle-of-nowhere desert we've had triple digit tempetures for nearly a month, 40-50mph winds constantly, and it hasn't rained since Thanksgiving (literally). I don't know what's going on, but it makes me concerned for the upcoming hurricane season. Nearly everyone I know, love, and/or am related to lives on the coast of something. You guys may have to evacuate to the desert one of these days. Just remember your sunscreen.

1 comment:

The Awesome Rawsons said...

I don't know about you, but I feel like the sun is closer to my head here in texas. Back in BR, it would get hot, but it was different. There were trees and green places that made you feel like you were being sheltered. Here I feel like i'm under one of those hamburger heat lamps at mc donalds