Saturday, May 30, 2009

Not So Easy-Bake Oven

So I got volunteered to do a cake for my friend's baby shower this weekend. Well my first and most natural instinct was to go to the store and order one. But then I started playing with the idea of trying to do one myself. My MIL "helped" me do a cake for another baby shower last month (yeah it's babies, babies everywhere right now!). Anyway, she actual did most of the doing and I did a lot of watching.
So anyway, I thought I'd give it a try and do one solo this time with the back up plan of ordering something if it didn't work out. Then I completely lost my mind and decided I wanted to try a fondant cake. I've never even touched fondant before, let alone work with it, so I must have totally lost my mind. But I went with the insanity and found a picture of something I thought I could handle and went to work.
I have to say it turned out a whole lot better than I thought it would. In fact those were my husband's exact words when he saw what I had done. It did have one tiny crack in it but I was able to cover it up pretty well and I was totally stressed that any minute it would just crumble before my eyes. But I got it to the shower just fine and everyone said nice things about it. Maybe I am not completely talentless after all. Now that I have some idea of what to expect I might try something a little more complicated and see where that goes.
I was also able to make my friend a cute little gift basket (kind of my signature shower gift) with jungle animals painted on it and the baby's name and stuff, but I didn't get a picture of it. These are the cake pictures I got. I know the picture quality is bad but my good camera's batteries were dead. Anyway, what do you think? I remember in YW many years ago I was the unspoken noncrafty girl, but maybe an old dog can learn something after all.

(FYI: The letters on the side spell out JULIAN, the baby's name)

3 comments:

Maxwells said...

Very cute! I am impressed!

DaNise said...

Way-to-go! You are brave and talented. I have not been brave enough to do cakes for anyone, but my children.

Jessica said...

That cake is great. My mom is making a DVD of exactly how to frost and fondant a cake, only $25! She rocks at it...me, I am okay. Fondant is so easy to use, though, that I think you should keep doing it and get really good at it.