Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Power of Candy-coated Chocolates


Several months ago I used M&Ms to help Max learn his colors. It seemed to work rather effectively so I decided to see if they could help him learn to count as well. He's known his numbers for a long time, but he doesn't really associate the words with specific quantities yet. Thus the M&Ms...both a visual representation and a tasty incentive. Here's how it went.
I set four M&Ms on the table and told Max we were going to count them. I took his finger and touched each one as we both said, "One, two, three, four." Max clapped his hands and said, "Good job, Mom."
Then I told him he could eat two M&Ms. He said, "One" as he picked up the first one and ate it. Then he said, "Two" and scooped up the rest of the candies and shoved them into his mouth with a smile!
I thought it was a fluke, so I did the same the again and got the exact same results. I decided to change the numbers and yet again he would count nicely up the the last number and then shove all of the M&Ms into his mouth at the end.
I'm not sure this proves he can count, but it does show that he's smarter than his mom is. He ended up getting to eat an entire bag just before dinner as I tried to get him to do it right!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

that's a great idea to use M&M's for those skills. i might just have to pick up a bag myself. i am already thinking i'll need them for potty training (starting next week!)