Monday, April 6, 2009

Maid for Me?

What do you all think about hiring housekeepers? Jeff and I have debated this for the better portion of our marriage. Surprisingly it has been that has been the one holding back. Jeff thinks it would be great to hire someone to come in once in a while to take some of the load off of me. He also figures that then I will stop harrassing him about helping out with the chores.
Some of you may be wondering why I don't absolutely love this idea. I'll tell you. #1 I hate people touching my stuff. I can't explain it, but it really bugs me. #2 I would be the kind of person who would clean my house extra good before the maid came so she wouldn't see our mess. #3 I would feel like a complete louse of a stay-at-home mom if I hired someone to do my job for me. If I was working I might consider it, but it would just make me feel guilty, dirty, and lazy.
However, here are some reasons I have come up with that make it sound like a good idea. #1 Jeff really isn't home much at all to help, so I really do have to do everything. #2 It would free up some of my time so I could do more stuff with my kids. #3 Hired help would probably do a better job than I do anyway. #4 I HATE HOUSEWORK!!!
So what do the rest of you SAHM think about all this? Am I crazy not to get the help? Is it worth it? Is it unfair to spend money on something that I could do myself? Your opinions are welcome. Thanx

3 comments:

Maxwells said...

Mike is never home either, so he also would love it. But, I don't think they would do that great of a job and I dont want to spend the money, but I have a problemm letting go of money. This debate is always going on in our house too. Let me know what you decide.

jennifer said...

I would totally do it and have no problem with it if I had the disposable income. I probably would feel a little guilty.. but not enough to sway the decision. Like you say, it would free up some (a lot) of your time to do things that you're good at and that you would want to improve at. Imagine not having to worry about the dusting or cleaning toilets and other weekly (or monthly) chores that have to get done. You would definitely be in a different mind set. Don't feel guilty! Especially if your hubby's on board.

DaNise said...

Maybe you could hire a YW from your church to help fold laundry or wash dishes. Then you could clean the other stuff and not be so worried. I would love help with laundry. Or she could play with the boys for an hour or two while you clean.