Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Question of the Week

Actually this is a question that came up last week, but it is something that bugs me every time it happens. We were out with a group of people over the weekend and someone mentioned how chatty Max is. Well, duh. It takes about 30 seconds with him to figure out that he never runs out of things to say. Anyway, that's not my point. So this person, who doesn't really know us very well, said that Max seemed like a very intelligent kid and must get that from his dad.
Are you seeing why I am annoyed?? Now I am not criticizing this person, because as I said, we don't know each other well. But I do find it irritating that people assume that Max is smart b/c Jeff is smart. And this happens QUITE frequently. Yes, I know that I married a very intelligent man. I was smart enough to do that and I still maintain that the smartest decision Jeff ever made was to marry me. I appreciate that Jeff is a bit of an intellectual, but I'm no dummy either. He may have out scored me on a few tests (I'm sure he tried harder than I did) but I have more college degrees than he does...so HA!!
I'm not trying to bash my husband's thirst for knowledge or make me sound like the smartest girl ever. I just wonder why most people jump to the conclusion that my children are brilliant because of their father's contributions to their genetic makeup and discount the stimulating environment in which I nurture them on a daily basis. I just wonder.

3 comments:

Hudson Family said...

lol! You are so funny!!! I heard that person say that to you and I heard your polite responce. I never dreamed that you would blog about it. You go girl. I know you're brilliant!!!

DaNise said...

I was getting a little irritated reading this. I know how much effort goes in to teaching your child those first few years. I know it is not all Orwin.

Jessica said...

I think that a lot of people assume that smarts come from fathers. It's just another stereo type that has to slowly be broken down.